Crash Course: Urban Landscapes
1. Principles of Light and Shadow
- Highlights / Midtones / Shadows
- Contrast Range and Tonality
- Direction and Quality of Light
2. Composition techniques
- Perspective: One-point, Two-point
- Height: street-level, elevated, low camera point up Overlap
3. Effect of Lenses at different focal lengths
- Normal = similar to how the eye sees perspective and object distance
- Wide angle = expanded perspective
- Telephoto = compressed perspective
4. Guided Shoot: Outdoor Shoot Challenge 1 (30 min)
Join the instructor as you walk around the area observing and capturing images.
Learn to trust your eyes. Take 5 images which exploit more than one photographic element above.
5. Outdoor Shoot Challenge 2 (45 min)
Use the city as a central character in a visual story. The goal is to edit a series of photos to 5-7 images which can focus on any particular aspect of the city, its buildings, streets, day-to-day scenes, traffic, or the urban atmosphere as a whole. The key is to create some consistency across the visual story, threads that connect the individual images so that a larger, more coherent whole is achieved.