For Memorial Day Weekend, we’ll be heading north into the serene beauty of upstate New York, from the lakes and rivers of Harriman State Park to the peaks and waterfalls of the Catskills. Experience the beauty of nature by taking your lodgings in stoic cabins and campsites in the forests of Sebago. Challenge yourself with daily on-site technical and creative workshops, hiking and exploring the landscapes while practicing your skills on the ever-changing natural environment.
You’ll learn from two nature-loving photographers who will provide the instruction, guidance and infectious energy to keep this Memorial Day expedition a long weekend to remember.
- Hike and explore the areas surrounding the Catskill, NY network of mountains, waterways, towns and vistas, including the spectacular bi-level Kaaterskill Falls, one of our favorite places in all of New York.
- Enhance your understanding of light, color and composition using the diverse terrain as your backdrop. Our skills challenge and real-life seminars will test your photographic mettle, while guiding you through some truly unique photo opportunities.
- Discover Harriman State Park's criminally underrated vistas and hidden gems.
- Build campfires and stay in cabins as well as campsites located within specially-selected parks and areas notable for their native flora and fauna . Remember to bring your tripod for some night photography wonders.
- Practice your wilderness skills and spend some priceless time outdoors doing what you love!
What to bring
- Your camera and any additional lenses you may have
- A laptop and memory card reader
- Good hiking boots
- Rain gear
- A sleeping bag rated to at least 40 degrees and a pillow
- (Optional) A lightweight tent
Transportation will be provided by BKC and included in the final cost.
Leaving from BKC: (Van 1) FRI May 22 @ 9:00 am, (Van 2) @ 6:00 pm
Returning to BKC: MON May 25 @ 6:00 pm
$795 per person
Includes transportation, lodgings and some meals (see below).
Questions about this trip? Contact us!
*CALL-BY DATE: Students will be notified of possible workshop cancelation by 5-12-2015 for reasons of weather, unforeseen conditions or failure to meet minimum enrollment.
With the early van group leaving our Dumbo location at 9:00 am, we'll travel to our primary location and lodgings at the rustic Sebago Cabins in Harriman State Park, one of New York's best kept secrets just 90 minutes north of the city. From there we'll conduct basic orientation and outdoor training, followed by workshops on light and contrast and a short hike through the surrounding region. A campfire dinner will be served, and afterwards students can join us for optional evening activities.
Participants who need to leave after work Friday 5/22 can travel with the later van group, leaving BKC at 6:00 pm and arriving at Sebago around 8:00 pm.
Meals provided: Dinner
Jumpstart your day with an optional pre-dawn photo tour, maximizing the ethereal glow of early-morning magic hour. After breakfast, we'll set out by van towards the Catskill region, about an hour away. We'll explore and photograph at Kaaterskill Falls, Opus 40, and the surrounding towns in the Woodstock regions, focusing on both landscape and natural portrait photography, as well as color theory, abstract imagery and varying shutter speed to control movement. By sunset we'll grab dinner at one of Woodstock's famed diners and return to Sebago Cabins for a campfire and an optional night shoot capturing star trails other long exposure scenes.
Meals provided: Breakfast
Another sunrise workshop to start your morning off right, followed by breakfast and a morning technical workshop covering lenses, filters for landscape photography and special effects, as well as strategies for enhancing perspective and depth of field. We'll show you the basics of post-production and toning in Lightroom to make your shots looking their best. After lunch we'll set out on an adventurous hike to higher elevation, with mission-based challenges issued along the way. Remember to bring boots or hiking shoes with a good tread. Spot animal tracks, shimmering lakes and the bursting colors of the new summer season. We'll return to camp for dinner and late night festivities, making s'mores over the campfire and checking out some of our favorite photos.
Meals provided: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
For our last day, we'll have a leisurely breakfast and set out towards the lakes for some warm relaxation, boat rides and fun shootarounds to keep our creative brains buzzing. Optional day hikes to sites like Bear Mountain provide ample photographic opportunities for the intrepid spirits in the group. In the afternoon we'll head back to Brooklyn, arriving at BKC at 6:00 pm, filled with fresh photos and warm memories.
Meals provided: Breakfast